House of Cards’ fictional President Frank Underwood navigates through one scandal after another and comes out of them unscathed. But the real-life Kevin Spacey who plays him is not so lucky. Netflix announced Monday that it will forego making any more seasons beyond the upcoming season 6 amid the backlash over Spacey’s recent admission to propositioning a 14-year-old boy for sex in 1986.
The final episodes will air in 2018. A Netflix spokesperson told the Guardian that the company had decided to end the show several months ago and that it was not a reaction to the allegations about Spacey.
However, key cast members and creative staff told reporters that they had only learned of the decision Monday morning in a series of phone calls. Those calls came less than 24 hours after Spacey publicly acknowledged the 1986 incident during an interview with Buzzfeed. In addition, Netflix released a joint statement Monday with Media Rights Capital that said that they were “deeply troubled” by the news.
“In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time,” the statement said.
House of Cards began in 2013 and follows Frank Underwood and his wife, Claire Underwood, as they murder and manipulate their way to the White House. The show has received 33 Emmy Award nominations and eight Golden Globe awards. Space and leading lady Robin Wright have won best actor and best actress Golden Globes for their performances.