|By Kramer Phillips | 1 year ago|
Google is killing a feature that allowed users to directly message others on YouTube.
In a statement released Thursday, the tech giant noted the update, saying it was part of a response to public comments regarding the feature.
“Two years ago, we launched a feature to enable you to share videos via direct messages on YouTube. Since then, we’ve also focused on public conversations with updates to comments, posts, and stories. We’re constantly reevaluating our priorities and have decided to discontinue YouTube’s native direct messaging feature while we focus on improving public conversations,” the company said.
The announcement comes weeks after YouTube and Google faced pressure from lawmakers to overhaul its presentation of the service to children. Google has since spun off portions of YouTube to better comply with the mandate handed down by Congress, although the industry as a whole continues to face scrutiny.
The tech giant is likely to reach a settlement with regulators later this month, which is said to include a multimillion-dollar fine for the company. According to The Washington Post , it “already has prompted the tech giant to reevaluate some of its business practices.” David Monahan, campaign manager for Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood. “If the FTC lets Google off without real changes to YouTube, the way they did with Facebook, then kids are screwed.”